Thursday, February 15, 2007

Running, but not quite on empty!

It’s been a pretty crappy week or so for me in the sporting realm, with not only Liverpool getting their arses handed to them by Newcastle, Australia inexplicably losing to the rancid Poms, the Lakers losing to Isaiah Thomas’ horrendous Knicks and still no sign of Tom Hawkins on the horizon for the Cats. Now in an effort to purge my sporting frustration, I’ve decided that I’m seriously going to continue my running in a dual-edged attempt to get fit and to use as an outlet to channel my sporting frustrations. The concept of me and a ‘running club’ is almost comical, but I tell you, two weeks in, it’s looking good.

The typical plan is to do a circuit or two around Regents Park and then when we’re at the point of exhaustion, we chip in and cook up a feast. The first two weeks have been green curry laksa and roast vegetables. Running, with the motivation of good food at the end of it, I should have tried this years ago.

 We tend to meander along at a nice consistent pace, and although we aren’t likely to break any speed records, our first two runs (5km and 6.4km) are a far better return than my typical Wednesday night exercise – walking from the tube station! Next week, the distance is expected to be 7.5kms, ramping it up to 10kms by the end of March. If you told me 12 months ago that I’d be doing 10km runs around Regents Park on a weekly basis, I’d have called the men in the white coats.

What’s more, for the first time in living memory, I’m actually genuinely motivated to exercise. Seriously!

It’s interesting what you can use to help motivate you, and how it’s easy to lose sight of what’s important. I’m thankful that I didn’t, and I’m hopeful that others don’t as well, but above all else, I’m thankful of the friends I have. Outstanding!

Anyway, a slightly philosophical end to what’s really a grievance against the recent form of my sporting teams, but hey, what can you do?! You’d think that being Valentines day, I’d have a slightly more interesting story to tell. Not this time, and not in the near future either, but at least I’ve got my running for now.  :-)

No comments: